Duck and Goose Hunting in Montana

With five miles of Yellowstone river frontage, and the ease of access to our ranches, duck and goose hunting is fun and productive.

Montana Fish Wildlife & Parks (MFWP) hunting regulations and dates are released in March of each year. Please check the MFWP website for confirmation of season dates.

Duck and Goose on the Yellowstone

Season: Duck and Goose (check MFWP website)

Location: Yellowstone Ranches

Accommodation & meals: not included

Trip length: day hunting

Check MFWP for required licenses and deadlines.

Duck, Goose & Turkey Combo on the Yellowstone

Season: Duck, Goose and Turkeys (check MFWP website)

Location: Yellowstone Ranches

Accommodation & meals: not included

Trip length: day hunting

Check MFWP for required licenses and deadlines.

Hunting & Fishing options on the Yellowstone Ranches

Season: Varies (check MFWP website)

Location: Big Timer Ranches, Yellowstone River

Accommodation & meals: not included

Trip length: day trips

License needed: Deer – Apply in general draw online, MFWP, for license.

Turkey, Duck and Goose – Purchase licenses online through MFWP

Fishing – Purchase licenses online through MFWP

Create your own custom hunt/fish combination with this unique adventure package. In just five minutes from Big Timber, you can access five miles of Yellowstone riverfront with brush and cottonwood trees, lots of water and channels. This landscape provides the perfect home for deer, turkey, waterfowl, and fish.

Duck and goose hunting packages are available upon request. Please call 406-579-3866.

Fulfill Your Sense of Adventure.

General licensing information

Important Information for Resident and Non-Resident Hunters before applying for hunting licenses

If you were born after January 1, 1985, you are required to show proof of completing a Montana hunter safety and education course or an approved hunter safety course from any other state or province prior to applying for or purchasing a hunting license whether the hunting license is for rifle or archery.

All first time bow and arrow license purchasers must enter their bowhunter education certificate number (NBEF) or a previous years archery license number from any state or province.

If you intend to purchase a black bear license for the first time, you need to have passed the FWP Bear Identification test. It can be found online at FWP’s website. Click on Education, then Hunter Education. Choose Bear Identification Program.

All licenses requiring a kill tag such as deer, elk, wolf, mountain lion, mountain goat, antelope, etc. will be mailed to you from MFWP. Make sure the address you used when you applied for or purchased your license is the address to which you want your license mailed. If your purchase included a combination license, then the conservation & fishing portion of that will also be mailed to you. Always print a copy of your application and receipt. This is your proof of application. Once the draws are posted you will want to be checking your mail to be sure you receive your license. If you do not receive your license within 3 weeks of the posted draw, call MFWP and let them know. Licenses purchased online not requiring a kill tag must be printed from your home printer. These licenses which are now in your physical possession are valid for immediate use.

If you need to purchase licenses for yourself and immediate family members, you must do so in separate transactions and provide the appropriate identification required for each individual.

Non-residents who do not have an ALS number established and are purchasing a conservation license for the first time must be prepared to provide the last 4 digits of their social security number per Montana Code Annotated to comply with the Federal Welfare Reform Law. A conservation license is required when purchasing a hunting or fishing license.

Read the full licensing information Collapse

Hunting Deposit & Payment Policy

A partial deposit of $1000 is required to book your hunt. If you do not draw a license, the $1000 partial deposit will be rolled over to the following year, if space is available, or refunded. The drawing takes place in mid-April. The remainder of the deposit (50% of the cost of the hunt) is due when the draw is posted and is non-refundable. The balance of the hunt is due 30 days prior to your hunt and is non-refundable. Hunts not fully paid by this date will be considered cancelled. We recommend Trip Cancellation Insurance. Montana Outfitters & Guides Association suggests Global Rescue Travel Insurance. 

All hunts will include an additional fee of $50 for the Hunter/Angler Defense Fund. This fund was set up by Montana Outfitters & Guides Association for the purpose of defending non-resident hunting and fishing rights in the State of Montana. (Information on HADF can be found in the General Hunting Information Packet.)

We accept Credit Cards (Visa/MasterCard only) and Checks. Make Checks Payable to: Absaroka-Beartooth Outfitters, Inc.

Scroll to Top